Check out this awesome footage introducing the Melbourne Salami Board's "Salami Sessions" - Hands-on authentic salami making workshops. Take with you, the "art of salami making" and 3kg of your own salami to hang and cure in your own homes!
There's a chill in the air, some fog in the mornings and frost on the lawn. It can only mean one thing - The Salami Season is nearly here! Save the date: WINTER! Pick a weekend and put it aside. Get your family and friends together to enjoy the age-old European tradition of curing meats, whether it's Prosciutto, Salami, Capocollo, Pancetta, Cotechino or any other style But, be warned...It's highly addictive! The Salami Army is growing!
For the experienced meat curers, you may enjoy watching this recent footage commissioned by SBS, by Gourmet Farmer. Former food critic and now Pig Farmer, Matthew Evans shares his "Breaking Down Day", where one pig is broken down into its constituent parts, ready for cooking and preserving. The footage is not recommended viewing for the faint hearted, but if you're seriously wanting to learn the art of curing the whole pig, then this story is not to be missed!
If you can't get to one of these authentic "Salami Sessions", then come along to the Darebin Homemade Food & Wine Festival on the 18th May, 2013. Home Make It, together with The Melbourne Salami Festa will be presenting a panel of experts to share their knowledge, experience and stories in "The Art of Salami Making". You'll get a snapshot of the "nose to tail" philosophy of curing meats and a demonstration in homemade salami. This is a free event and bookings are not required. Come along and taste some award-winning homemade Wines, Beer, Passata and Avjar. This is a fantastic community event that celebrates food traditions and sustainability. The festival commences on the 13th May, 2013 finishing on the 18th May, 2013. Check out the full program for all the events and demonstrations.
Registrations to enter your award winning Wine, Beer, Passata and Avjar for the
Up Coming Events and Festivals not to be missed!
- Cider Making Workshops 26th and 27 April, 2013
- Darebin Homemade Food and Wine Festival 13th - 18th May, 2013
- *Introduction to Homemade Wine Making on Tuesday 14th May at 6.30pm at the Intercultural Centre, Community Kitchen. Bookings Essential.
- *Homemade Pasta and Beer Brewing Demonstrations on Friday 17th May at 6.00pm at the Reservoir Civic Centre. Bookings Essential.
- *The Art of Salami on Saturday 18th May at 2.30pm at Preston Shire Hall, Kitchen. Bookings not required. .
- Melbourne International Coffee Expo 23rd-26th May, 2013, Melbourne Showgrounds.
- The Salami Sessions - 25th & 26th May 2013, and 1st & 2nd June, 2013
- Good Food & Wine Show (Melbourne) - 7-10 June, 2013, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Melbourne & Sydney Pizza Festival 2013 - Melbourne: June 10-30, 2013 / Sydney: July 8-28, 2013
- Melbourne Salami Festa Mid September, 2013 (Date to be confirmed).
- Fine Food Australia 9th-12th September, 2013 Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre.
Details for our Food & Beverage Workshops, including our own Sausage and Salami Making Workshops will be released very shortly.
For daily updates you can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Don't miss our Mother's Day competitions that will be commencing soon. Awesome gift hampers to be won.
Have a great weekend. And if you are looking for a good laugh at the end of a crazy week, and can relate to those nuisance sales call at night, then you'll enjoy this YouTube clip, "Italian Funny Espresso Machine".